Monday, July 25, 2011

portable Ubuntu- part 2

my guess is this would work for Ubuntu and Chrome OS Linux, or almost anything with a big enough SD card and an OS that doesn't attach to specific hardware.

for testing purposes, I'm in Win7, using an 8GB micro sdhc class 6 card and VirtualBox. if this works right, this should be a fully functional Ubuntu (OS+settings+storage) that I can boot on any computer (able to boot from USB) and have my "system" with me where ever I go!
      if this is the case, I'll be getting a 16GB micro class 10 to use (I have a teenie adapter).

SUCCESS!! logged in with my username and pw, installed updates.. we are good to go! now that I know this method works, I'm going to try with the bigger card and partition it so my docs and stuff are accessible from any OS.
      until then, let's see if I can get this to work right on the laptop so it's not just sittin there lookin pretty.
            -nope. still can't get the damn internet going- loopback issue it seems. the search continues..
            -YEAY! I had changed the router from "auto" channel to a set channel when I was having
                    problems with that damn wireless mouse. as soon as I added this to the
                    /etc/network/interfaces and changed it back to auto, everything is fine (might change these
                    for when not using the laptop). posting from the laptop using Ubuntu SD!
                          /etc/network/interfaces
                                  auto lo
                                  iface lo inet loopback

                                  auto wlan0
                                  iface wlan0 inet static
                                  address 192.168.2.20
                                  netmask 255.255.255.0
                                  gateway 192.168.2.1

            -why can't I see the hard drives on the system? oh! now I can..
                        Code:
                              sudo mkdir /media/windows
                              sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/windows -o force
                        - gonna see about adding a line to the shutdown script to unmount any media mounted
                                during that session- not able to normally unmount, and I would forget- I don't know
                                what would happen..

-
after an extended session, this runs pretty well. run on the laptop, shut down, boot up on the HP, works as it should! I'm starting to think it may just be fine as it is on this card- I'll just resize and make a new partition.
      a class 10 would be nice though- the red light on the big adapter is running at least once a minute and for writing, a class 6 is no match to a class 10.
      can't say how long this drive would last for as my regular system with all the writing and whatnot... and I never shut down.. but it is pretty cool to have, and more than likely will come in handy. time consuming, but not difficult to produce. keeping the 4GB Live SD too.
      next time I get around to it, gonna make a Chrome OS Linux on SD. I'll have a pocket full of OS's.
have to say, I love almost all Google products- Chrome is awesome. whatever I do in one place, I have at another.. what a concept!


instructions
modified from:
Install Live Ubuntu CD directly onto an SD card

Installation (by using a virtual machine)
1. Create a new virtual machine.

2. Don't add any virtual hard disk. (uncheck the Boot option and click Continue when it gives the warning)

3. Go into the machine Settings and activate USB support (USB menu), so you can install Ubuntu to your SD card by using an SD to USB adapter.

4. Boot up the virtual machine, navigate to the ISO- while Ubuntu boots up in the virtual machine, make sure your SD card is mounted from the Devices menu up top. When Ubuntu is ready (normal Live CD screen) choose Install.

5. Follow the installation instructions. (find something else to do- this takes a LONG TIME)

6. When the installation is complete, shutdown your virtual machine, insert the Ubuntu SD card into [a USB adapter and USB port] and power up. When the [computer's] splash screen comes up [enter boot order menu], and select the SD card as the boot drive. You will have to do this step at every boot up now if you want to start Ubuntu, but it allows you to keep [any other os] on the internal HD which can be booted with or without an SD card inserted.

No comments:

Post a Comment