Thursday, March 3, 2011

wireless printer that doesn't

or, if I forget to cancel the job, will print two hours later and scare the shit out of me.

Canon Pixma MP495- fixed IP

connects to the Mac just fine. USB, wireless, great.

Win7 shared by the Mac spits out blank pages. Win7 and Ubuntu work perfectly through USB, but no matter the configuration on the printer's side for wireless, both OS see it, can get the status and whatnot, but errors when I go to print.

there was a time when it worked as it should.. but no matter how many times I uninstall and reset, I'm still left wanting to chuck it across the room, so I gave up trying to mess with it and kept with thinking about it.

I've come to the conclusion that this is one more reason to kick the Intel WiFi/WiMAX 6250 AGN in the face. seriously, it's not the printer. it has to be the wireless card if neither freshly-installed OS on this machine can print wirelessly.

other issues with this card:
-it has to be set to the lower encryption to talk to the Mac, which has to be wired directly to the router for them to play nice.
-the power management feature needs to be disabled for Ubuntu to use the card.
-the band has to be set to G only for it to get through the firewall on the router.
-it's also in a Dell machine, and it's been my ongoing experience that Dells and wireless don't always jive- I have too many things trying to claim the wireless card.

if I disable some stuff (all those wifi connection things, really, wtf), then I can expect sporadic connections. I'm in Maine for f's sake- no need for integrated WiMAX. that was a "bonus"- I gained WiMAX and forwent blu-ray on my laptop wish list in this purchase.

I'm gonna boot back into Win7 eventually, and when I do, I'm going to try the 128 encryption and see if makes an actual printed page. it used to work as an TCP/IP connection, sometimes..

why can't this be easy? this was supposed to be easy..

No comments:

Post a Comment